Contract duration: 12 months, option of extension based on funding availability
Reports to: Country Manager
Starting date: July 2019
POSITION SUMMARY: Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team seeks an energetic, experienced and self-motivated candidate with a strong background in finance and accounting.
The Uganda Finance Manager will report to the Director of Finance & Administration. This position is responsible for the financial oversight of the Uganda office and has potential for additional responsibility in the East Africa region. This is a full-time position based in Kampala, Uganda.
- Direct management of the Uganda finance office
- Oversee the day-to-day accounting function in the Uganda finance office: recording and reporting cash flow transactions, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, month close, financial reporting, etc.
- Lead the Uganda office annual budget creation and participate in project budget development
- Prepare and submit monthly fund requests and financial reports
- Manage payroll, taxes, and other NGO compliance filings
- Participation in establishing international financial policies & procedures alongside the Director of Finance & Admin
- Create financial procedures to implement fiscal policies in the Uganda office, related to banking, accounts receivable & accounts payable, procurement, financial controls & reporting, and government compliance:
- Ongoing oversight of adherence to fiscal policies through monthly reviews and internal audits.
- Training of finance personnel and provision of financial support to office management in Uganda (with possibility of further training responsibility in the East Africa region)
- Participate in monthly calls with the Director of Finance & Administration
- Carry out other finance-related duties as requested by supervisor
Qualifications (About You)
- Degree in accounting or equivalent
- An understanding of financial management and accounting in nonprofit organizations
- 3-5 years experience in international NGO accounting, particularly looking for experience:
- Managing large grants and contracts
- Working with remote/virtual teams
- Coordinating between field offices
- Experience with US federal government regulations
- Familiarity with accounting software, preferably Quickbooks
- Experience developing and/or implementing finance policies & procedures
- Detail-oriented & able to employ critical thinking to solve problems
- Honest and reliable