An Australian, who has resided and worked in the Philippines since the early '90's, I love my adopted home, way of life and the people. In 2012, I retired from Corporate Life, moved away from the "Rat Race" in Luzon to the Southern Philippines with my family.
I subsequently decided to focus my work effort on Mapping Projects, primarily because it gives me a Buzz and it gets me back to my roots. I initially studied Surveying in my early years, but rarely used that knowledge during my career.
Mapping can have a profound effect on people and their lives especially in a Humanitarian Context so it is a very rewarding past time.
In late 2013, Haiyan/Yoland struck the Philippines with a vengeance, passing about 85 miles north of where I live. I went to Panay to help, we delivered aid to many in need. The lack of maps made this difficult and proved to be a turning point for my future focus on mapping.
My Recent Humanitarian Activities
* November 2013 - Typhoon Haiyan/Yolands - Responded in Panay on the Ground delivering aid and supplies to remote regions
* December 2013 - Started my Humanitarian Mapping efforts as a result, attempting to obtain useful maps to assist with delivery
* January 2014 - Started following the [Humanitarian Openstreetmap Team (HOT)](http://hotosm.org/) on the web and email discussion and started to learn JOSM
* March 2104 - Volunteered to Lead the Humanitarian Mapping Response to the [Tharparkar Drought in Pakistan](http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/Pakistan_Tharparkar_Drought). Became admin on the HOT [Tasking Manager](http://tasks.hotosm.org/)
* April 2014 - Created a new MapCSS Style called [HOT-Validation](https://github.com/DisasterNetDOTOrg/HOT-Osm-Validation)to assist with Humanitarian Mapping in Remote areas. Idea is to highlight in Red any nodes/ways/relations that do not meet the tagging scheme.
* April 2014 - Validated approx 90 tiles in the HOT Valparaíso, Chile Fires Activation in the Tasking Manager using the new HOT-Validation Style. Success.
December 2014 - Led the Typhoon Ruby Activation in the Philippines. Typhoon Ruby was a category 5 System that made landfall over Eastern Samar, Philippines
February 2015 - Became a Voting Member of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team