HOT has grown from a community of contributors with an idea to a global community and organization with many successes. HOT has some exciting projects:
- OpenAerialMap: To provide a distributed system to catalog and host freely available imagery
- Missing Maps: A collaboration with the American Red Cross, British Red Cross and Médecins Sans Frontières UK to help place the most vulnerable people in the world on the map.
- Scenario Development for Contingency Planning (SD4CP): A program in Indonesia to better enable disaster managers to use science to inform their contingency plans.
- Mapping Dar es Salaam for Flood Preparedness: An initial program to map with communities in Dar es Salaam so they can better plan in case of flood.
- Development of an Activation Curriculum: Through generous funding from the Hewlett Foundation HOT is working to document and create a training program for activation coordinators so HOT is better prepared to respond to all levels and types of crisis.
The new Interim Executive Director will be lead a team of over 20 people (staff and contractors) and support a community of over 1000. HOT has a strategy to grow in service to greater accomplish our mission to apply the principles of open source and open data sharing to improve the welfare of the communities where we work, especially those at risk of natural disaster or other crisis. This is to reach our vision that communities living in vulnerable environments and areas are empowered to create and utilize geographic data to play an active role in their own economic development and resiliency.
The interim Executive Director will be responsible for the daily operations of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team. The interim Executive Director’s role will be manage and support delivery of HOT’s mission. Those operations include:
- Work closely with the HOT Board of Directors in execution of HOT’s strategy
- Manage, mentor and coach HOT’s staff and contractors
- Ensure deadlines on contracts and grants are being met and progress communicated with donors
- Financial oversight of expenses and payroll
- Oversee development, composition and submission of proposals
- Oversee that HOT is operating within the organization’s yearly budget
- Management of HOT’s partnerships
- Experience managing multiple donor relationships and programs
- Knowledge regarding US non-profit and 501(c)(3) financial and legal requirements
- Experience managing day to day operations of an organization with yearly revenue of at least $500,000
- Strong marketing, communications, public relations and partnership management skills
- Previous experience overseeing budgets and expenditures
- Strong project management skills
- Experience in a leadership role of an open-source community
- Proficient in written and spoken English
- Experience with OpenStreetMap mapping and/or GIS highly desired
- Experience in Humanitarian work or International Development valued
This job posting will be closed on March 24, 2015 subject to HOT receiving suitable applications. (We are hoping that the Interim Executive Director will have time to learn from our outgoing Executive Director, thus the short timeline.) Questions are most welcome. Please do submit your CV, a writing sample, your OpenStreetMap username and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOT is incorporated as a non-profit membership organization in August 2010 in Washington, DC. In February 2013 HOT received 501(c)(3) status from the Internal Revenue Service of the United States as a public charity. HOT abides by the Membership Code of Conduct and Bylaws.
We would like to thank Kate Chapman, outgoing Executive Director for all her years of service to HOT. More about Kate in a separate post!