Contract duration: Full-time 40 hours per week through December 31, 2018 with a possibility of extension.
Projected start date: ASAP
Reports to: Country Manager, Tanzania and HOT Global Communications Manager
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) is a US-based NGO and global community of thousands of volunteers working together to use maps and open data for humanitarian response and the Sustainable Development Goals. As the world’s preeminent participatory mapping NGO, HOT has fostered a global mapping community composed of more than 130,000 people with ground operations in five countries. When major disaster strikes anywhere in the world, HOT rallies this global network to create the maps and data that enable responders to reach those in need.
HOT has collaborated with the World Bank in Tanzania since 2015 as implementing partner for the community mapping component of the Ramani Huria (“Open Map” in English) program. During this time, HOT has trained nearly 500 young people in open geospatial data and participatory mapping methods through a partnership including Ardhi University and the Tanzania Red Cross Society. Starting in September 2017, HOT has partnered with IREX on the Data Zetu project. Data Zetu aims to empower communities to make better, more evidence-based decisions to improve their lives. Through partnerships and collaborations with local communities, Data Zetu works with stakeholders to build skills and develop digital and offline tools that make information accessible to everyone.
About the Position – Communications Specialist
The Communications Specialist will lead HOT’s external communications and outreach across the Ramani Huria and Data Zetu projects. From print to digital communications, to in-person interviews and relations with the media, the Communications Specialist will ensure professional outreach and engagement of all parties with interest in the project, both internal and external. This includes creation of marketing materials, social media outreach, blogging and conference outreach.
- Communicate project progress and successes regularly with stakeholders including the public, the Government of Tanzania, development stakeholders eg World Bank, UK Department for International Development, and others
- Present information and analysis to citizens on information gathered through the community mapping exercise in all appropriate forums both within the project task team, secretariat and with outside stakeholders as appropriate
- Prepare and deliver presentations on the project to technical specialists at the World Bank, IREX and donors
- Disseminate information at the local level through media including newspapers, public billboards, posters and advertisements
- Work with journalists in Tanzania and internationally to increase exposure and coverage of the Ramani Huria and Data Zetu projects
- Develop and implement social media strategy across channels (Facebook, Twitter; explore use of Instagram)
- Produce monthly reports to demonstrate growth in social media activity and engagement
- Research and write periodic blog posts for Ramani Huria and Data Zetu related to community mapping
- Capture new photo and video content of HOT’s work; coordinate production and editing
- Develop and/or manage development of print and digital marketing/communications materials and other information resources to demonstrate the impact of our work
- Coordinate editing and layout of periodic reports to donors
- Research, design, and develop data use stories and case studies
- Manage blog content on www.ramanihura.org and contribute to https://datazetu.or.tz/
- Organize conference and event outreach through booths and presentations
- Participate regularly in HOT’s global Communications Working Group (every 2 weeks) and coordinate Tanzania communications with HOT global communications, reporting to the Communications Manager of HOT.
- Care deeply about the mission: passionate about humanitarian / development work demonstrated through prior professional or volunteer experiences
- Outstanding written and spoken English and Swahili
- At least 2 years professional experience with communications and marketing
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree (Preferred) candidate in Emergency/Disaster Management, International Affairs, Public or Business Administration, Nonprofit Management, English, Journalism, Marketing, Communications or related field
- Ability to tell stories with data via simple visuals and story maps
- Clear, concise, and compelling writing skills Ability to use photo editing and graphic design tools
- Excellent data management, organised, and attentive to detail
- Professional experience managing social media platforms and developing strategies
Additional desirable skillsets:
- Previous experience in journalism or mass media outreach e.g. writing press releases
- Skilled in technical writing
- Experience in disaster response, open data or open source strongly desired
- Experience in creating flyers and brochures (preferably with open source tools)
- Experience in video blog shooting and editing