Jobs (See all vacancies)
Director of Finance & Administration (Part-Time)
Schedule: Monday-Thursday 9am-1pm US Eastern (flexible) on an ongoing basis
Location/Duty Station: Flexible – any HOT office (Washington, D.C., New York, Kampala, Dar es Salaam) or Remote
Closes: June 29, 2018
Projected start date: July 16, 2018
Reports to: Executive Director
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) is a Washington, D.C.-based NGO and global community of thousands of volunteers working together to use maps and open data for humanitarian response and the Sustainable Development Goals. As the world’s preeminent participatory mapping NGO, HOT has fostered a global mapping community composed of more than 100,000 people with ground operations in five countries. When major disaster strikes anywhere in the world, HOT rallies this global network to create the maps and data that enable responders to reach those in need, serving humanitarian partners such as UNHCR, American Red Cross, and MSF.
About the Position – Director of Finance & Administration (Part-Time)
HOT is searching for a Director of Finance & Administration (Part-Time) to join our senior management team, leading HOT’s strategy, vision, and day-to-day monitoring of finances, accounting, and administration. As HOT continues to grow, the Director of Finance & Administration will work closely with HOT’s senior management, playing a leadership role in simplifying accounting and financial management for our staff, making it coherent across country operations, and ensuring accuracy and timeliness for our donors. The ideal candidate will be looking to balance a part-time position with other commitments on an ongoing basis. Travel will be required on a periodic basis to HOT’s country locations. The position has three direct reports in country offices.
Our preferred candidate is comfortable working in a very fast paced, startup-like environment with a highly motivated and unconventional team. You should have three or more years working in a similar role in an NGO or humanitarian/development agency. You should thrive in an environment where you direct your day-to-day tasks and build a strategy through consensus with a team of staff and volunteers. You can choose your own office location and should love working with remote teams as you’ll spend significant time on the phone, on Slack, and Skype.
Near-term Objectives (First 60-90 days)
- Analysis of cash flow, projecting out revenue and spend, considering the specifics of each project’s budget and invoicing schedule. Suggest and take action on a per-project basis for improving cash flow/cash balance.
- Manage and decrease overdue A/R with donor-specific strategy.
- Draft and liaise with US Government counterparts on Negotiated Indirect Cost Rate Agreement (NICRA).
- Implement an electronic time tracking system linked to payroll.
- Carry out in-country internal audits in Uganda, Tanzania, and Turkey offices.
- Review finance procedures, asset management (inventory) in detail, assess readiness for A-133 audit.
- Provide a simple way for each project manager to have full visibility on invoicing for their projects.
- Management/board level financial analysis: Produce a draft “dashboard” with quantitative/qualitative analysis.
- Involvement in CRM/grant management software implementation as needed.
Longer-term Objectives (Post-90 days)
- Lead HOT to a place where managing finances is a pleasant, easy-to-understand process for our staff and timely and accurate for our donors.
- Analyze our current financial processes and introduce simplifications, automation, and process/software innovations to reduce time spent by project managers.
- Enhance our financial controls and approval policy to incorporate headquarters and field locations.
- Rationalize project budgeting system across all 20+ donor-funded projects organization-wide.
- Manage A/P and A/R including donor invoicing and payments.
- Review, make recommendations, and implement HOT’s procurement policy.
- Design and implement other people (HR) management and administrative policies.
- Improve projections/analysis looking at HOT’s full financial lifecycle starting from the grant opportunity identification stage.
- Rationalize project budgeting system across all 20+ donor-funded projects organization-wide w/ recommendation and implementation.
- Org-wide budget & cash flow on monthly basis.
- Ongoing, project-specific insight & analysis, recommendations to project managers.
- Assess and select accounting software packages.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Care deeply about the mission: passionate about humanitarian / development work demonstrated through prior professional or volunteer experiences.
- Comfortable in a virtual working environment with a global team across multiple time zones.
- Thrives in extremely fast moving humanitarian environment in a start-up like culture with rapid growth.
- Experience working with US Government Federal funding / Code of Federal Regulations.
- Experience working with annual budgets at the $2M+ level.
- Comfortable and enthusiastic about integrating the latest cloud-based software to make things simpler and easier (we currently use Gusto, Expensify, Tsheets).
- Experience with Federal grant/agreement reporting.
- Experience negotiating and/or managing NICRAs.
- Experience with designing and implementing policies and guidelines around HR/personnel and other administrative areas.
- Sense of humor.