Contract duration: Fixed-term 6-8 week contract (full-time)
Location/Duty Station: Aruba
Closes: 14 October 2018
Projected start date: 22-29 October, 2018
Reports to: Information Management Associate
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) is a US-based NGO and global community of thousands of volunteers working together to use maps and open data for humanitarian response and the Sustainable Development Goals. As the world’s preeminent participatory mapping NGO, HOT has fostered a global mapping community composed of more than 130,000 people with ground operations in eight countries. During crisis, HOT rallies this global network to create the maps and data that enable responders to reach those in need.
HOT is soliciting CVs of applicants for positions in Aruba for an anticipated project supporting UNHCR and the Government of Aruba. Goals of the project include rapid population estimation, profiling of migration / populations of concern (including migration related to the Venezuela crisis) and mapping access to key social services related to protection issues.
About the Position
This position will support a workstream related to gathering, analyzing, and reporting on data related to a rapid population estimation and profiling exercise. The intern will, in addition to co-designing data collection methods and instruments, support data analysis and information product design. This includes statistical and qualitative analysis of household survey data, producing infographics, print and web maps, data visualizations (charts/graphs), and reports. The candidate selected will work closely with another team responsible for managing data collection and survey operations.
This individual will ensure that data is up to date, correctly attributed and openly accessible, to facilitate the creation of comprehensive, highly detailed common operational datasets, population estimates, and protection profiles for populations of concern.
S/he may also support monitoring and evaluation, ensuring that outputs and outcomes of project activities are appropriately captured in order to provide accurate, nuanced reporting to project partners. The intern will involve management and manipulations of data across platforms, and require inclusion of responsible data practices for working with sensitive data.
- Support development of household surveys using mobile tools such as OpenDataKit (ODK) and Kobo Collect.
- Help organise and manage survey forms and resulting data sets conduct initial analysis of the data.
- Analyze qualitative and quantitative data sets using statistical software and GIS tools.
- Assist in creating data products such as web and print maps and infographics which integrate open geospatial data / OpenStreetMap with household survey quantitative and qualitative data sets.
- Communicate about project activity, including assisting with regular blogs posts and (social) media updates as required.
- Assist with production of detailed reports and presentations incorporating above outputs.
- Adapt to changing project priorities and support other duties as assigned.
- Care deeply about the mission: passionate about humanitarian / development work demonstrated through prior professional or volunteer experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree (Preferred)
- Experience in GIS and geospatial data analysis
- Experience with mobile survey tools including OpenMapKit, OpenDataKit (ODK), Kobo Collect, X-form building
- Experience running training sessions, workshops or teaching ICT and information management skills and eagerness/ability to learn new technologies
- Strong communication skills, including advanced written and spoken English
- Qualitative and quantitative analytical skills using statistical software or programming languages
- Proven ability to work independently and lead activities, complete deliverables with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated understanding of open source culture and ethos across cultural contexts
- Able to travel 100%
Additional desirable skill sets/experience:
- Experience working in or knowledge of complex refugee and migration situations
- Clear vision of participatory data collection methods and community involvement, preferably using OpenStreetMap
- Experience with OpenStreetMap tools, such JOSM and iD
- Experience with open source GIS tools such as QGIS
- Experience working with business intelligence/reporting tools such as PowerBI
Airfare to Oranjestad, Aruba and in-country travel provided.
During country deployment:
Allowance provided to cover cost of living and accommodation.
Corporate insurance covering medical emergencies.