Reports to: Director of Technology and Innovation
Contract Terms: 20 hrs; Monday-Friday; Flexible Schedule with a minimum of 3-4 hours overlap with US East Coast business hours required; Employee; 1 yr initial contract
Travel: Up to 20% international, including to HOT field project locations
Close Date: October 15, 2020
Estimated Start Date: Candidate dependent
Work Location: Remote
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) is a US-based NGO and global community of thousands of volunteers working together to use maps and open data for humanitarian response and the Sustainable Development Goals. As the world’s preeminent participatory mapping NGO, HOT has fostered a global mapping community composed of more than 250,000 people with ground operations in eight countries. When major disaster strikes anywhere in the world, HOT rallies this global network to create the maps and data that enable responders to reach those in need. HOT is excited to expand its work via the Audacious Project.
About the Role
The Global IT Associate will be responsible for day to day support of HOT’s IT systems and infrastructure including applications, clients, servers, peripherals and network equipment. The Global IT Associate will assist and consult with the Director of Technology and Innovation and Senior Technical lead to meet the organisation’s needs. They will respond to and resolve IT incidents, escalate technical issues as needed within the IT department of a predominately remote, cloud based organization. Additionally they will lead, evaluate, recommend and assist with IT projects that improve HOT’s IT practices, policies and processes. The Global IT Associate will ensure good communications and working relationships with the entire organization.
The Global IT Associate will advance HOT’s mission by operationalizing the HOT_Tech core ethics:
- Human: Our Human ethic is our commitment to people as our priority. At the centre of all our technology sits a human. The ultimate purpose of our technology is to improve human conditions. We use technology to enable and amplify human efforts. We support them at personal and professional levels. We invest in their well-being and their growth. We provide security and stability. When our people thrive, so do we.
- Open: Our Open ethic permeates all we do. Our actions reflect radical openness and transparency. We encourage open inputs and outputs. Our team and technology openly welcomes and engages community, collaboration and contribution.
- Truth: Our Truth ethic reflects an OpenStreetMap core principle; the ‘truth on the ground’. Our activities and decisions will be guided by this ethic, conflicts not easily resolved will defer to this ethic to determine what best reflects and prioritizes the truth on the ground.
- HOT_Tech Principles > Can be found here » https://github.com/hotosm/tech/blob/master/principles/README.md
The Global IT Associate will coordinate and collaborate with key HOT_Tech supporting functions including the Director of Technology and Senior Technical Lead.
Priority Areas for Action and Responsibilities
- IT Systems Administration: HOT uses a mix of proprietary and open source products to support organisational operations. The Global IT Associate will ensure that products effectively support the organisation and its staff and community in achieving HOT’s mission.
- Practice, Policy and Process Guidance: HOT is transitioning from a small startup culture to a larger and more structured organisation. With this transition, HOT will need to ensure that its institutional IT is able to grow and scale with the organisation’s expansion. The Global IT Associate will lead projects that ensure HOT’s institutional IT grows seamlessly with the organisation.
- Maintain, upgrade and provide support for HOT cloud based enterprise applications and some BYOD procedural support
- Manage HOT-wide enterprise data and security protection
- Implement and manage staff user accounts across a number of products
- The Global IT Associate needs to be able to diagnose and resolve problems quickly and be available to respond to help desk requests efficiently
- Administration of HOT enterprise applications and tools including: GSuite, Slack, Jira, Mumble, Gmail, and Google Groups
- Support design and implementation of tech training for new hires and act as as primary point of contact for HOT staff on basic tech-related questions
- Ensure that the appropriate disaster recovery protocols are in place and are at all times in alignment with the needs of the business
- Written documentation of system and procedures, including best practice and compliance e.g. GDPR
You are passionate about putting people at the centre of technology. You are driven by delivering delight to a community of diverse and unique users. You are a solution hunter and believe that value is delivered when the right solution is in the right hands. You appreciate the sophistication in simplicity and strive to build experiences that build users. You are passionate about principles that drive inclusive technologies and love to translate empathy into experiences.
Qualifications & Experience
- 5+ years of experience supporting enterprise IT across a range of functions
- Strong experience supporting a completely remote and global organisation
- Strong focus on security and system hardening
- Hands on experience managing and administering cloud technology assets residing in private and/or public (AWS, Azure, Google) clouds such as Google Enterprise Suite, Slack Workspaces and Jira Core.
- Deep knowledge of and experience supporting remote, cloud based enterprise services
- Be familiar with active directory use and structure
- Database familiarity an asset
Role Specific Skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and a “customer first” focused demeanor
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated history of mentoring, teaching, or guiding other designers and team members
- Be patient, courteous and professional
- Be willing and eager to learn new systems
Compensation & Benefits
- All HOT salaries globally are set according to a framework detailed on our website.
- HOT offers a work-from-anywhere culture, flexible working arrangements, a variety of health care options, 401k retirement savings plans, and 24 days of annual leave for all full-time employees.
Please complete the form linked here. Continue to the second page to upload your CV/resume. Your CV/resume should not exceed 2 pages. If invited to an interview, expect to hear by late October via email. HOT will notify all candidates on the status of their application at the end of the hiring process. Please check your junk/spam folder.