About the Position
HOT has grown significantly over the last 4 years, nearly quadrupling its budget and expanding programs and reach drastically. The results have been exciting, and we’ve reached these results with a lean, driven team. At this point in the organization’s lifespan, we are looking for a team of advisors who can provide strategic and technical guidance to our team. The finance advisor position would work closely with the Director of Finance & Admin and the Executive Director, providing accountability and advice on all financial matters. The advisor would have the opportunity to significantly impact the financial health of HOT, now and as the organization plans for its next phase of growth.
- Finance professional with at least 5 years experience
- Personal commitment to devote the time necessary to perform the responsibilities of the Finance Advisor.
- Understanding of financial accounting & audits for global nonprofit organizations.
- Experience with US government funding for nonprofits preferred.
- Knowledge of the social impact financing/fundraising landscape.
- CPA preferred but not required.
- Proven track record of integrity and honesty in professional environments.
- Experience mentoring / teaching others on finance related topics.
- Willingness to commit at least 2 years pro bono (6 month trial period) for approx. 10 hours per month
- With the Executive Director, Finance Director and Treasurer, reviews key financial reports & outcomes on a monthly basis.
- Works with the Finance Director, Executive Director and Treasurer to develop Fiscal Policies for recommendation to the Board of Directors to ensure the financial integrity and sustainability of the organization, including but not limited to policies on global accounting practices, financial controls & risk assessments, and adherence to standard accounting principles.
- Works with the Finance Director and the Executive Director to develop long-term financial strategies, including development of a fundraising strategy, cash flow management, investments, etc.
- Supports the fundraising function, including networking and relationship-building within the social impact landscape.
- Provides guidance on annual audits and compliance with US government regulations.
- Assists the Executive Director and Finance Director in preparing the annual budget.
- Keeps informed of current legal, regulatory and sector developments relating to the Board’s financial responsibilities.
- Provides additional financial support to the Finance Director and Executive Director on a regular basis, as needed.
- Public recognition of Advisory Board membership on HOT’s website.
- Quarterly networking and interaction with other senior-level HOT Board & Advisory Board members.
- Invitation to visit HOT project locations and interact with staff and community members.
- Invitation to annual HOT Summit.