Contract duration: 12 months
Location/Duty Station: Philippines
Closes: Sunday December 15 2019 at NOON
Projected start date: December 2019
Reports to: Country Manager - Philippines
Salary range: $729 up to $874 total (gross) per month, including benefits
The Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) is a US-based NGO and global community of thousands of volunteers working together to use maps and open data for humanitarian response and the Sustainable Development Goals. As the world’s preeminent participatory mapping NGO, HOT has fostered a global mapping community composed of more than 180,000 people with ground operations in eight countries. When major disaster strikes anywhere in the world, HOT rallies this global network to create the maps and data that enable responders to reach those in need.
HOT is soliciting CVs of experienced finance & admin staff to support our operations in the Philippines starting as soon as possible. This assignment is expected to last 12 months with the possibility of extension.
HOT’s project in the Philippines focuses on supporting the expansion of DisasterAware (https://www.pdc.org/apps/disasteraware/), and supplying accurate and up to date open data (via OpenStreetMap) to feed into this platform. Aside from data collection and mapping, this project will have a strong focus on capacity building and training with various government agencies and ministries, both at the national and local level.
The Philippines Finance & Admin Coordinator will report to the Philippines Country Director. This position is responsible for the financial oversight of the Philippines office, and ensuring the Country Manager and Deputy Country Manager have the support they need to successfully execute the project. This is a full-time position that is based in Manila, Philippines, but with the potential for location flexibility. Some travel to the field may be required.
- Direct management of the Philippines finance office, including but not limited to:
- Oversee the day-to-day accounting function in the Philippines finance office: recording and reporting cash flow transactions, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, month close, financial reporting, etc.;
- Lead the Philippines office annual budget creation and participate in project budget development;
- Prepare and submit monthly fund requests and financial reports to HOT HQ;
- Manage payroll, taxes, and other NGO compliance filings;
- Participation in establishing country-specific financial policies & procedures for the Philippines office alongside the Director of Finance & Administration;
- Create financial procedures to implement fiscal policies in the Philippines office, related to banking, accounts receivable & accounts payable, procurement, financial controls & reporting, and government compliance;
- Ongoing oversight of adherence to fiscal policies through monthly reviews and internal audits;
- Training of finance personnel and provision of financial support to office management in the Philippines;
- Participate in monthly calls with HOT’s Director of Finance & Administration and/or the HOT Finance team;
- Act as the officer manager and assist the Country Manager and Deputy Country Manager with all administration tasks required to successfully perform their roles; and,
- Carry out any and all other finance, administration and office management duties as requested by supervisor.
- Degree in accounting, finance or equivalent.
- Fluent in English and Tagalog.
- An understanding of financial management and accounting in nonprofit organizations.
- Knowledge of the Philippines Government’s legal, HR and administrative requirements for non-profit organizations.
- Familiarity with accounting software, preferably Quickbooks.
- Experience developing and/or implementing finance policies & procedures.
- Detail-oriented & able to employ critical thinking to solve problems.
- Honest and reliable.
- Minimum 3 years experience, preferably more, in international NGO accounting, particularly looking for experience:
- Managing large grants and contracts;
- Working with remote/virtual teams;
- Coordinating between field offices; and,
- Experience with US federal government regulations, in particular USAID.
Additional desirable skills:
- Fluent in Bisaya and/or other Filipino languages.
- Experience in working fast-paced startup ventures.
- Experience as an executive assistant to senior management.
- Expertise in disaster risk reduction and response.
- Experience working with the OpenStreetMap platform.
- GIS and/or statistical data analysis skills.
- Experience working with governments and in the international humanitarian system, preferably on disaster risk management and reduction projects.
- Experience working on dispersed virtual teams operating in many locations and the project management technologies required to do so effectively.
- Experience in data analysis and information management.
- Experience in participatory data collection, preferably using mobile, digital data collection tools such as Kobo, OpenDataKit, and OpenMapKit.
- Experience in volunteer organizations.
- Assignment on contractor basis.
- HOT values salary transparency and equity. Salaries and pay rates at HOT are determined by an open framework: please see https://www.hotosm.org/salaries
- HOT is a leader in flexible working arrangements. As a young, innovative, and open organization, we provide ample space and opportunity for personal initiative and growth.
- Health and medical benefits are provided to all staff through group insurance plans for employees, corporate insurance for accidents and medical emergencies, and 8% wage differentials for independent contractors.