Reports to: Module Owner
Contract Terms: 40 hrs, Monday - Friday; Flexible Schedule, with a minimum of 3-4 hours overlap with US East Coast business hours required; Employee with 1 year initial contract
Travel: Up to 20% international, including to HOT field project locations
Deadline: August 24, 2020
Estimated Start Date: September 5, 2020
Work Location: Remote
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) is a US-based NGO and global community of thousands of volunteers working together to use maps and open data for humanitarian response and the Sustainable Development Goals. As the world’s preeminent participatory mapping NGO, HOT has fostered a global mapping community composed of more than 230,000 people with ground operations in eight countries. When major disaster strikes anywhere in the world, HOT rallies this global network to create the maps and data that enable responders to reach those in need.
About the Role
We’re seeking a skilled and enthusiastic ‘full-stack’ individual fluent in a variety of programming languages, databases, and front-end programming to support a passionate team of humanitarian hacktivists. The role will support the HOT tech team in collaboratively delivering a range of open source solutions that support HOT in our strategic ambition to map an area home to one billion people. The Junior Developer will be part of an agile team building tools to assist with the collection and communication of humanitarian data, coalescing around geospatial information. The work will predominantly be focused on backend ‘crunching’, however, front-end skills will also get a good workout. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to grow and be mentored by some of the humanitarian sector’s leading geospatial technologists.
The Junior Developer will advance HOT’s mission by operationalizing the HOT_Tech core ethics:
- Human: Our Human ethic is our commitment to people as our priority. At the centre of all our technology sits a human. The ultimate purpose of our technology is to improve human conditions. We use technology to enable and amplify human efforts.
- Open: Our Open ethic permeates all we do. Our actions reflect radical openness and transparency. We encourage open inputs and outputs. Our team and technology openly welcomes and engages community, collaboration and contribution.
- Team: Our Team ethic reflects our loyalty to our people. We support them at personal and professional levels. We invest in their well-being and their growth. We provide security and stability. When our people thrive, so do we.
- HOT_Tech Principles
Priority Areas for Action and Responsibilities
- Be involved and participate in the overall application lifecycle with ownership of code throughout development, staging, testing and production
- Build high-quality efficient, reusable code that can be used in the future
- Focus on clean readable code, debugging and ensuring good test coverage
- Stay up to date with current best practices
- Collaborate with community to design, build and maintain applications
- Participate & showcase work in yearly conferences and other community working group meetings on a regular basis
- Development tasks include backend development, designing and deploying services, integrations with and consumption of third party services, database development, unit testing and mock data generation, development of regression testing scenarios and scripts
- This position will cover some DevOps responsibilities, especially pertaining to change management and source control, continuous integration, and deploying and maintaining test and production environments. This may include some scripting and automation tasks, test development, database management activities, and server configuration management
- Responsibilities will include analysis of requirements, authoring of documentation, and detailed design, both independently and as part of a team
- Work with other engineers, designers, and test engineers to bring prototypes to life
- Participate in agile software planning and development activities including daily standups, user story and task organization and grooming activities, and effort estimation
- Monitoring technical performance of applications to ensure code optimisations
- Troubleshoot and debug applications
You are passionate about code, quality and community. You want your good work to enable others to do their good work. You champion open and transparent tech and believe that collective efforts yield the best results. You enjoy being a part of a dynamic team and find motivation and enjoyment in the flexibility of working remotely. You love problems almost as much as you love solving them and you are tenacious about working at it until it is done. You love being a part of a community and discussing and contributing to a greater community goal. You want to code for good.
The best candidate for this role will have:
Qualifications & Experience
- Some experience in open source software contributions or development
- Basic understanding of working with github
- Experience with OpenStreetMap (OSM) and associated OSM tools an advantage
- Familiarity with agile teams or projects
- Be fluent in working in a fully or partially remote work environment
- Working with diverse, distributed teams over multiple geographies and timezones
Role Specific Skills
- Be passionate about reliable products that are easy to use and just work
- Confidence with software development fundamentals
- Your code is easy to understand and maintain
- Proven track record of delivering data driven solutions with a user-first mindset
- Be driven by compassion, humanitarian ethics, and a sense of humor
- Passion for open source mobile-first solutions and appropriate technology that is user centric and built in and for constrained contexts
- Utilize strong verbal and written communication to articulate complex concepts across varied audiences to build consensus and lead change
- You can express your ideas clearly in written and spoken English
- Ability to identify challenges and ask for support as required
Compensation & Benefits
- All HOT salaries globally are set according to a framework detailed on our website.
- HOT provides non-financial career opportunities such as pair programming, mentorship and career development pathways.
- HOT offers a work-from-anywhere culture, flexible working arrangements, a variety of health care options, 401k retirement savings plans, and 24 days of annual leave for all full-time employees.
Please complete the linked form by August 24, 2020. Please continue to the second page of the form to upload your CV/resume (max 2 pages) and your responses to the following: (1) A motivation statement (150 words) (2) Your experience with the tension between technology and inclusion (200 words) (3) Your experience in an Agile team (250 words). Please ensure to upload only 1 PDF file titled ‘First Name.Last Name.’ No cover letter is required.