Contract duration: Fixed-term 1 or 2 month contracts (full-time)
Location/Duty Station: Aruba
Closes: 14 October, 2018
Projected start date: November 2018
Reports to: Associate Project Manager
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) is a US-based NGO and global community of thousands of volunteers working together to use maps and open data for humanitarian response and the Sustainable Development Goals. As the world’s preeminent participatory mapping NGO, HOT has fostered a global mapping community composed of more than 130,000 people with ground operations in five countries. When major disaster strikes anywhere in the world, HOT rallies this global network to create the maps and data that enable responders to reach those in need.
HOT is soliciting CVs of applicants for positions in Aruba for an anticipated project supporting UNHCR and the Government of Aruba. Goals of the project include rapid population estimation, profiling of migration / populations of concern (including migration related to the Venezuela crisis) and mapping access to key social services related to protection issues.
About the Position
Mapping Supervisors will lead HOT’s field data collection activities on the project in close coordination with the Associate Project Manager and Project Managers. This includes assisting with in-person training, providing input into the design of field data collection, and supervising the work of up to 5 surveyors.
- Support the Associate Project Manager and Project Manager in organizing and facilitating OpenStreetMap trainings, workshops, and awareness sessions
- Organize large-scale data collection campaigns in coordination with partner organizations
- Implement data collection forms using OpenDataKit Collect, OpenMapKit and other mobile data collection tools
- Provide technical guidance and expertise on participatory mapping and OpenStreetMap
- Supervise data collection in an entire district with a team of up to 5 surveyors
- Assist in project report writing and translation as necessary
- Communicate regularly with community members and partners regarding the mapping project and progress, and provide feedback dialogue with management team
- Submit progress reports as requested, and assist in producing project deliverables
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a relevant field with one year professional experience. In lieu of a completed degree, the candidate should have at least three years of relevant work experience
- Experience with OpenStreetMap tools, such JOSM and iD, QGIS
- Experience with mobile survey tools including OpenMapKit, OpenDataKit (ODK), Kobo Collect, Field Papers and X-form building
- Strong ICT and information management skills and eagerness/ability to learn new technologies
- Ability to collaborate with and take guidance from project leadership and staff
- Strong organisational skills
- Strong communication skills, including advanced written and spoken English
- Spanish or Papiamento language skills
- Proven ability to work independently and complete deliverables with minimal supervision
- Able to travel 100%
Additional desirable skillsets:
- Experience working with GIS and other mapping platforms strongly preferred
- Experience in disaster response, open data or open source strongly desired
- Sector expertise in disaster risk reduction, public health, or water, sanitation, & hygiene
- Experience running training sessions, workshops or teaching
- Assignment on contractor basis. Salary determined by HOT pay scales.
- Aruba work authorization preferred. For applicants residing outside Aruba, HOT may consider providing housing costs on an exceptional basis.
- Food allowance and housing provided for all candidates while staying away from home.