Jobs (See all vacancies)
Online Community Engagement Lead
Contract terms: Full time Employee
Location/Duty Station: Remote
Closes: 9th October 2020
Projected start date: 9th November 2020
Reports to: Head of Community
Travel: Up to 10% international travel
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) is a US-based NGO and global community of thousands of volunteers working together to use maps and open data for humanitarian response and the Sustainable Development Goals. As the world’s preeminent participatory mapping NGO, HOT has fostered a global mapping community composed of more 250,000 people with ground operations in eight countries. When major disaster strikes anywhere in the world, HOT rallies this global network to create the maps and data that enable responders to reach those in need. HOT works closely with humanitarian and development partners including the Red Cross, Médecins Sans Frontières, World Bank, and UN OCHA, among others. In 2020, HOT was awarded funding from The Audacious Project. Over the next five years, this funding will enable HOT to scale up its support to local mapping communities with the aim of mapping an area home to one billion people, adding places at high risk of natural disaster or experiencing poverty.
- Develop and implement HOT’s online community engagement strategy defining the approach, communication channels, and responsibilities of HOT staff members, partners, and volunteers to the OpenStreetMap community. This activity will be done with the goal of ensuring that the HOT global community is engaged with HOT’s work, and support existing and new HOT community members to contribute successfully.
- Develop and measure metrics to understand Community Growth and Evolution; attracting and retaining mappers to help grow the HOT community to one million mappers by 2025 (learn more here).
- Ensure that HOT contributes to OpenStreetMap responsibly, and that HOT staff members are informed about development in the OSM community.
- Lead strategy to revitalise HOT Working Groups to adapt to HOT’s global community presence and desires. Manage any outputs of this strategy.
- Engage HOT team to provide meaningful contributions to OSM for example through engaging in Working Groups, and providing support to key OSM activities as appropriate such as providing functional support for State of the Map.
- Support the chair of the HOT Voting Members with coordination and administration as required.
- Engage with HOT Data Quality and Community Teams to identify data gaps in HOT’s Audacious Project, and coordinate Data Campaigns to fill these gaps both globally and in coordination with regional hubs as required.
- Conduct Tasking Manager onboarding training sessions with organizations wanting to set up projects / have project management status.
- Coordinate Community Working Group, supporting retention in the working group, and supporting group activities.
- Set up and manage HOT’s Volunteer Recognition programs to reward and engage dedicated volunteers, improving volunteer retention and increasing the percentage of advanced mappers.
- Support growth and development of YouthMappers.
- Welcome new members to the HOT Community e.g. on Slack, helping people get to a path where they can contribute in what they are passionate about.
- Managing online events, and supporting in-person events e.g. HOT Summit.
- Engaging with the HOT Community online e.g. on Slack, mailing lists.
- Promote collaboration consistent with the HOT Code of Conduct, and manage breaches to the CoC.
- Significant (3+ years) experience participating in the OpenStreetMap community
- Significant (3+ years) mapping experience, including OSM but other platforms acceptable
- Experience working remotely and coordinating activities across multiple timezones
- Experience in open source communities (please name these in your application)
- Experience participating in movements
- Experience facilitating community management in open source communities, engaging contributors, and ensuring sustainability amongst contributors
Engagement and people skills:
- You should be the kind of person people want to come to with questions, or issues
- Extremely strong written communication skills and ability to communicate ideas and concepts digitally
- Demonstrated experience handling conflict situations, negotiation, and encouraging collaboration, compromise and shared solutions
- Good at building consensus
- Fluency in English
- Empathy and understanding
- A good sense of humour and willingness to learn
- Driven, goal-oriented and strives for continuous improvement
- Comfortable with using a very wide range of digital platforms (IRC, email, slack, twitter, whatsapp, jitsi, BBB, mumble, zoom, face to face, etc etc etc)
- Comfortable managing social media and engaging in discussions with individual community members publicly
- Experience as a community manager with evidenced achievements (e.g. doubling the size of an online community with several thousand members, delivering significant improvements on community retention)
- Experience participating in HOT and OSM Working Groups
- Multi-lingual and able to participate in online discussions in multiple languages
- Experience managing a small team e.g. 3 people
- Experience as a moderator
- Data analysis and trend-spotting
Compensation & Benefits
- HOT values salary transparency and equity. All HOT salaries globally are set according to a framework detailed on our website.
- HOT offers a work-from-anywhere culture, flexible working arrangements, a variety of health care options, retirement savings plans, and 24 days of annual leave for all full-time employees, in addition to 12 paid holidays.
The application period for this position has closed.