Schedule: Approximately 20 hours per week on an ongoing basis with scope to increase hours if desired in 2021
Location: Flexible/Remote with at least half-day overlap with US East Coast and Central Europe time zones
Reports To: Director of Humanitarian and Development Programs - indirect to HOT’s Director of Technology, Community/Partnerships, and Executive Director
Deadline: August 28, 2020
Estimated Start Date: Second week of September 2020
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) is a US-based NGO and global community of thousands of volunteers working together to use maps and open data for humanitarian response and the Sustainable Development Goals. As the world’s preeminent participatory mapping NGO, HOT has fostered a global mapping community composed of more 230,000 people with ground operations in eight countries. When major disaster strikes anywhere in the world, HOT rallies this global network to create the maps and data that enable responders to reach those in need. HOT works closely with humanitarian and development partners including the Red Cross, Médecins Sans Frontières, World Bank, and UN OCHA, among others. In 2020, HOT was awarded funding from The Audacious Project. Over the next five years, this funding will enable HOT to scale up its support to local mapping communities with the aim of mapping an area home to one billion people, adding places at high risk of natural disaster or experiencing poverty.
About the Position
HOT is looking for a part-time proposal manager to coordinate our new project / new business proposal process for institutional donors. The Proposal Manager will also conduct donor scoping, track and identify donor opportunities using Salesforce, coordinate and write proposals for large, competitive funding opportunities. We foresee the position as two-fold: first, managing the overall process, and second drafting high quality proposal content. We envision a candidate who is enthusiastic about working with program teams across HOT (mapping and training, technology, and community) to assemble compelling project ideas. A candidate who is highly organized and process-focused, yet also enjoys conveying the impact of open data and digital technology in humanitarian action and development. A significant proportion of proposals are expected to be in response to RFPs from government donors (US, UK, EU) and multilateral institutions (World Bank, UN agencies, programmes and funds). A smaller percentage of submissions will be for open calls for ideas and grants from foundations and other donors. The position requires innovative thinking and creativity to package our programs and vision in ways that attract the right donor support and grow our portfolio strategically and sustainably.
What Success Looks Like
- Manage HOT’s fee-for-service request-for-proposal (RFP) pipeline including identifying, vetting and prioritizing approximately 10-15 opportunities per month.
- Monitor donor databases and websites daily to identify new funding opportunities, donor funding trends, and relevant country information.
- Coordinate the overall concept note / proposal development and submission process (including combining and writing portions of proposal text) for the 2-4 highest priority competitive fee-for-service bids and grant applications per month.
- Develop a standard proposal vetting, development, review, and submission process, adopting industry good practices e.g. color-coded review teams.
- Develop a detailed compliance matrix and checklists for each proposal and ensure final proposals meet all standards in the compliance matrix.
- Focus the time spent by HOT’s programmatic staff on places where they can add the most substantive value to a proposal, such as requesting input on technical content and writing; minimizing time spent on administrative and coordination aspects.
- Include innovative and novel aspects that clearly position and differentiate HOT’s proposals from competitors, and evolve to incorporate project learnings and ideas as HOT grows and learns as an organization.
- Manage complex proposals involving a consortia of partners and coordinate contributions from all partners, including guiding areas of collaboration and budget discussions.
- Work with HOT’s Director of Finance on standardizing a schedule of rates and utilizing it to prepare proposal budgets.
- Maintain a calendar, update opportunities in Salesforce, and coordinate regular reports to HOT’s senior management team.
- Develop a re-usable toolkit of content, e.g. HOT profiles, standard service offering packages, team bios and CVs in standard formats mandated and requested by donors.
- Strive to maintain or increase HOT’s historical win rate on RFPs (approximately 50% for RFP responses that we decide to pursue).
- Fluent English
- Clear, crisp and compelling writing style
- Demonstrated success leading proposal teams within a humanitarian or development INGO, development contractor, or related organization
- Experience writing winning proposals for US, UK and/or EU government donors with examples in the $1m+ range
- Detailed knowledge of institutional donor RFP requirements
- Development of multi-million dollar project budgets
HOT values salary transparency and equity. All HOT salaries globally are set according to a framework detailed on our website.
Please complete the form linked here. Continue to the second page to upload your CV/resume. Your CV/resume should not exceed 2 pages.