Contract terms: Full time, 40 hours per week
Location/Duty Station: Washington, DC (remote may be considered for exceptional candidates)
Reports to: Director of Finance & Administration
Travel: 10-15% internationally
About Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) is a US-based NGO and global community of thousands of volunteers working together to use maps and open data for humanitarian response and the Sustainable Development Goals. As the world’s preeminent participatory mapping NGO, HOT has fostered a global mapping community composed of more than 200,000 people with ground operations in eight countries. When major disaster strikes anywhere in the world, HOT rallies this global network to create the maps and data that enable responders to reach those in need. HOT works closely with humanitarian and development partners including the Red Cross, Médecins Sans Frontières, World Bank, USAID and the UN, among others.
About the Position
The Senior Finance Manager is a full-time position reporting to the Director of Finance & Administration. HOT is looking for someone with substantial financial management experience who is passionate about HOT’s mission and growth. The position will be responsible for hands-on management of a $3.5M and growing budget to ensure the organization meets its financial goals, budgets accurately and is compliant with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and requirements of all 20+ donors. The position will focus on strong financial management and controls, efficient and cost-effective financial operations, policies, procedures, and processes. The position also includes an important element of relationship management, helping to continue the growth of HOT’s successful global finance team, which includes several offices in Africa and Southeast Asia.
This position is US-based in the metro DC region. On a day-to-day basis, the position will be split between HOT’s downtown DC office and working from home. Travel to global offices will be approximately 10-15% of the year.
HQ & Global Responsibilities
- Provide accurate, timely, financial information that allows the entire organization to operate effectively, efficiently, and in alignment with its overarching financial goals.
- Provide strategic guidance on global fiscal policies
- Recommend, develop and implement finance and admin workflow improvements
- Assist in the annual budgeting process and provide monthly budgeting support to program & field office managers
- Carry out cash flow projections
- Lead the annual audit process and provide support to field offices for audits
- Support the lead accountant in AP, AR, monthly reporting, reconciliations, year-end close, and other accounting duties
- Manage global staff approvals and inquiries on payroll, expenses, ad hoc requests, etc.
- Support the reporting to and relationship with the Board of Directors
- Support proposal budgeting alongside the fundraising team
- Support donor management and financial reporting alongside the programs teams
- Act as a finance point of contact for donors, complete donor onboarding, respond to donor inquiries, etc.
- With the Director, collaborate with field offices on policy implementation, procedure development, and compliance
- Manage field office accountants, providing daily hands-on guidance, carrying out monthly approvals, training, internal audits, etc.
- Carry out internal finance and related training with new and existing staff
- Lead or participate in global team meetings (requires flexible working hours to accommodate teams all over the world)
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in Accounting (Graduate level degree in Finance and/or CPA certification a plus)
- A solid understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- 7-10 years experience managing a finance or accounting team in the international NGO sector, particularly looking for experience:
- Managing philanthropic and US federal funding
- Working with remote/virtual teams
- Coordinating between international field and HQ offices
- An understanding of financial and donor management and accounting in nonprofit organizations
- Experience working with in multi-currency international programs
- Experience managing an annual audit process, especially Uniform Guidance audits
- Organized, structured, and enjoys building efficient systems for an agile, global team
- Familiarity with accounting software, preferably Quickbooks
- Detail-oriented & able to employ critical thinking to solve problems
- Flexible, honest and reliable
- Experience living internationally a plus
- Willing to travel up to 15% of the year
Conditions and Benefits
- HOT values salary transparency and equity. All HOT salaries globally are set according to a framework detailed on our website.
- HOT offers a work-from-anywhere culture, flexible working arrangements, a variety of health care options, 401k retirement savings plans, and 24 days of annual leave for all full-time employees, in addition to 12 paid holidays.
- Annual base salary falls in the $70,000 - $80,000 USD range using HOT’s salary framework (based on US applicant, location factor 1.0)
Please complete the form attached/linked here by May 8, 2020. Continue to the second page to upload your CV/resume. CV/resume should not exceed 2 pages.