Digital Engagement Consultant - Caribbean
Role: Digital Engagement Consultant- Caribbean
Duration of assignment: 6 months
Application close date: 7 May
Work location: Remote
Type of contract: Short-term consultancy
Supervision: Global Project Manager
About the Open Mapping Hub - Latin America and the Caribbean
The Open Mapping Hub - Latin America and the Caribbean, is a regional collaboration of the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT). HOT is an NGO that sits at the nexus of participatory mapping, community-led development, humanitarian response, open data and tech. With a talented and diverse team spread around the globe, HOT is an NGO that supports a dynamic global community of thousands of dedicated volunteers using maps and open data for humanitarian response and the Sustainable Development Goals. Working with humanitarian and development partners like the Red Cross, Médecins Sans Frontières, UN agencies, governments and others, the HOT community maps in solidarity with those affected by or at risk of disaster, contributing the maps and data aid workers need to do their lifesaving work.
ABOUT THE ASSIGNMENT
The Digital Engagement Strategist (the Consultant) will work to expand awareness and engagement of our three key audiences (mappers, map users, and map supporters) in the Caribbean region. The Consultant will be responsible for increasing visibility of the Open Mapping Hub as a leader in open mapping for and with communities in the Caribbean through developing:
A digital communications strategy that clarifies the Hub’s brand and elevates it to a new level. The digital communication strategy should encompass all digital channels as tools for awareness, programmatic engagement and fundraising. There are also opportunities to scale awareness via strategic partnerships with media and press, at the regional level.
- Comprehensive digital strategy
- Develop foundational messaging and content for the Caribbean region - both at a high level and tailored to specific audiences, understanding the importance of local voices.
- Increase engagement across active and prospective audiences, using analytics to make informed decisions.
- Publish to the website, social media, and create other digital collateral (newsletter, case studies, etc.)
- Develop a media strategy, pitch stories to regional press outlets and industry leaders
- Amplify regional content to tell the story of humanitarian open mapping in a way that is meaningful to our audiences
- Manage relationships with external professional contractors (web developers, videographers, photographers, graphic designers, etc.)
- Digital marketing/marketing communications: Proven track record in understanding audiences and user journeys. Ability to create content for messaging and promotion, digital advertising, data visualization and search engine optimization (SEO).
- Communications Efficacy Evaluation: Skill in tracking key performance indicators and making data-driven recommendations.
- Writing and editing skills: Excellent command of the English and French languages; Outstanding grammar and written communications skills, especially concise synopsis.
- Software/Platforms: Knowledge and skill in using Google Office Suite & Analytics, Adobe Design Suite, Canva, Wagtail or other CMS systems, and open source alternatives to these and other digital platforms.
- Time management/Organizational skills: Skill in working on multiple projects at a time under tight deadlines and in project management overall. Excellent attention to detail and ability to proactively design and execute your own area of work.
- Interpersonal/Communications: Energetic, enthusiastic, rapport-building, with skill in building and sustaining relationships; Ability to work independently, and on a team, and successfully meet goals and objectives; Experience working with remote and diverse teams across time zones, regions and cultures.
- Inclusion and digital ethics: Understanding of different access levels internationally, incl. those who don’t always have access to stable internet, up-to-date devices, desktops, time, funds, etc.
- Ways of working: Adaptability and responsiveness; a proven ability to respond to feedback and adjust approach for success
We are expecting proposals in the range of up to USD $15K, including travel cost to at least 2 regional locations (Dominica and 1 other Island in the Caribbean). Please provide a clear cost breakdown in your proposal. We want you to assess our RfP and think about what it would really take for you or your team to provide an exceptional solution, and to have an open conversation about that if you are shortlisted. If you feel you cannot work within this budget, or have suggested improvements, we are still interested in seeing your proposal.
Please send a proposal that includes the following:
- Updated CV
- A cover letter (Max 2 pages) describing how you plan to deliver this work within our recommended time frames
- A portfolio of previous work
- The names and contact details of three references familiar with your work
- Your professional fee
- Any additional information or comments that you believe would distinguish you from others, or that would be relevant for us to know as we consider your response
Send your proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Digital Engagement Consultant: RFP: (your name)”