Volunteer Opportunities (See all vacancies)
HOT Summit Website Volunteer
Location: Remote; we welcome applications from any location
Timeframe: 3-4 weeks in total
Start Date: ASAP
Hours Required: 4-5 hours per week
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) is a US-based NGO and global community of thousands of volunteers working together to use maps and open data for humanitarian response and the Sustainable Development Goals. As the world’s preeminent participatory mapping NGO, HOT has fostered a global mapping community composed of more than 175,000 people with ground operations in eight countries. When major disaster strikes anywhere in the world, HOT rallies this global network to create the maps and data that enable responders to reach those in need.
Overview: HOT’s Technical Team is looking for a HOT Summit Website Volunteer to help create a website for the annual HOT Summit taking place in Cape Town, South Africa in July 2020. Using existing code and formatting of the HOT Summit’s website from 2019, the volunteer will create and update content for this year’s event and ensure full functionality of the website, applying feature improvements and bug fixes as needed.
- Create Jekyll content pages for the call for proposals, location/venue information, code of conduct, and sponsorships on the summit 2020 website
- Create the content collection for speakers and the program/schedule page once the program has been approved and announced
- Apply visual changes to the site, including new images, logos, and styles
- Ensure full functionality of the site by identifying and fixing bugs or other issues that may arise during development
- Experience with Liquid templates, Git, Github, and XML is a plus
- Ability to work in a remote environment with little supervision; take initiative and innovate as needed
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multitask and prioritize tasks
This position is an unpaid volunteer position.
To apply please complete the online application as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.