Volunteer Opportunities (See all vacancies)
Operations & Events Assistant (Volunteer or Intern)
Team: Operations and Finance Team
Location: Washington, DC preferred; remote will be considered
Timeframe: 6 months minimum
Start Date: ASAP
Hours Required: 15-20 hours per week
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) is a US-based NGO and global community of thousands of volunteers working together to use maps and open data for humanitarian response and the Sustainable Development Goals. As the world’s preeminent participatory mapping NGO, HOT has fostered a global mapping community composed of more than 175,000 people with ground operations in eight countries. When major disaster strikes anywhere in the world, HOT rallies this global network to create the maps and data that enable responders to reach those in need.
Overview: ** HOT’s Operations Team is looking for an Operations and Events Assistant to work closely with the Global Operations Manager and Director of Finance & Admin to support project operations and staff across multiple countries and support logistics for planning the annual HOT Summit, taking place this year in Cape Town, South Africa in July 2020. **Please note this is an unpaid position and available either to a volunteer or individual seeking internship credit.
HR & Operations Management:
- Support fulfillment of documentation requirements for project start-up
- Maintain vendor & staff documentation
- Support onboarding of new staff and vendors
- Research & test best-fit software systems for HR, finance and operations
- Organize and maintain calendar of staff & working group meetings
- Maintain HOT staff Org Chart
- Complete new vendor/payment processing forms
- Support maintenance of asset inventory and other HOT resources
- Receive, scan and notify relevant parties of physical mail (if in DC)
Annual HOT Summit Support:
- Manage visa letter requests & processing
- Provide travel logistics support to HOT Staff
- Support creation and dissemination of printed materials for the HOT Summit, including brochures, one-pagers, signage, etc.
- Coordinate social media coverage and email blasts to go out to prospective attendees, sponsors, and more
- Attend the Summit Working Group calls once/week
- Other responsibilities as requested by supervisor
- Interest or background in nonprofit management; previous work with nonprofits/NGOs an advantage
- Completed or in progress of Bachelors or Masters degree
- Familiarity with GSuite and collaborative tools like Skype, Slack, etc.
- Ability to learn and adopt new systems, softwares, and processes quickly
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multitask and prioritize tasks
- High attention to detail and ability to problem solve
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills
This position is unpaid; however, HOT will support academic credit through your institution, if available, and the Operations & Event Assistant will have the opportunity to attend the HOT Summit in Cape Town, South Africa in July 2020 with all expenses paid by HOT.
To apply please complete the online application by 28 February, 2020. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.